Wapak blanked: Ewing taken to hospital in loss to St. Marys


ST. MARYS —  The Wapakoneta Redskins suffered two losses in Tuesday’s game against the St. Marys Roughriders.

The ‘Skins lost the game, 4-0, and in a scary moment in the first half, lost their goalie, Matt Ewing to injury.

St. Marys forward Dylan Zink was charging a ball in the box, and Ewing ran toward the ball, attempting to make the save.

They collided hard, and Ewing’s grabbed his leg in pain. There was little hesitation to call the ambulence when the trainers and coaches took a look at the injury.

“It was just two big boys hitting each other,” said St. Marys head coach Dave Ring after the game. “There was no intent on either side … (Ewing) went for the ball, (Zink) tried to slip around for the ball. It’s just a soccer injury, it happens, sadly too much.”

Initial X-Rays came back negative for a break, and Ewing will head to Lima today for further evaluation. Wapakoneta varsity head coach Marc Dyrness said it was a major bone contusion, and he would likely be out at least through the weekend.

“He did his job, he covered up, he got his hands on the ball,” Dyrness said. “The attacker just came in and clipped his legs. straight on the shin guard.”

Ring said the collision was hard, and soccer injuries like this happen all too often.

“They’re not wearing pads, and they’ll hit as hard as any football players will ever hit,” Ring said. “That was a tough hit.”

When Ewing went down, St. Marys was controlling the game, but the score was tied at zero.

After about a 20 minute delay the teams resumed play, and the scoring began for the Roughriders. 

Zack Wilker started the scoring with a shot just beyond the 18-yard line that found the back of the net. 

Minutes later, Zac Nelson buried a penalty kick to extend the lead to 2-0. 

Nathan Wilker added an acrobatic goal off a corner with about a minute to go in the first half, and Patrizio Martinez Rodriguez added the final Roughrider goal in the second half.

Dyrness said the Redskins were not ready to play.

“We had too many guys in a funk. We were flat, we were flat the whole first half. We perked up a little in the second half, but we were flat,” Dyrness said. “We didn’t mark up, we didn’t play, whatever it was we were in a funk.”