SOCCER: O-G girls survive Wapak

The Wapakoneta Redskins made a match of it but could not overcome the Ottawa-Glandorf Titans, falling 2-0 in a varsity girls soccer match Tuesday at Harmon Field.
Wapak withstood a relentless first-half assault then began to challenge in the second half. It took a Titans’ goal with 2:12 remaining in the match to seal the win for O-G.
The Titans tried to exploit their speed advantage by pushing the ball into the corners, outracing the defense to the ball and crossing it back to the middle. But the Redskins managed to keep the ball in the corners and limit O-G’s crossing opportunities.
“Our defense is created to allow you to take it down the sides but not let you bring it to the middle,” Wapak coach Ross Kantner said. “Our defense played right into their strength. But a 1-0 game up until the final two minutes, I’d say we did ok. We withstood their strength.”
The Titans outshot Wapak 8-1 in the first half but could only convert one of those into a goal. Senior Jessie Kreinbrink punched it into the left side of the net just past the outstretched arm of Redskins goalkeeper Ashley Knippen.
“Ottawa’s a very good soccer team and we knew that they would probably be able to control the ball,” Kantner said. “Our philosophy was we were going to play very tough defense and take any opportunities they gave us.”
Wapak’s lone shot in the half came just 1:15 into the match. The Redskins never got another sniff of the goal until the 30:30 mark of the second half when sophomore Sara Warner’s shot from the right side hit the outside of the net.
The Redskins had two more cracks at it thanks to O-G fouls. But senior Mallory McDevitt’s direct kick was saved and senior Sarah Lawrence’s shot sailed wide left.
“I thought the kids played extremely hard tonight,” Kantner said. “I thought they played within themselves, they did what they could do, and they didn’t try to do things they couldn’t do. ... A one-goal game can go either way.”
O-G finally sealed the win late in the match. Freshman Danielle Schroeder got a one-on-one breakaway and fired a shot that Knippen deftly deflected. But senior Brook Zynda was there to collect the rebound and put it into the net to make it 2-0.
Knippen finished with six saves.
Wapak is now 4-6-1 overall and 1-3-1 in the WBL. O-G is 6-3-1 and 3-1-1.
The Redskins return to action Monday at St. Marys.