2 arrested for meth

WAYNESFIELD — Waynesfield law enforcement officers arrested two individuals on drug charges after a traffic stop at 10:58 p.m.Friday in Waynesfield.

Mark Fletcher, 40, of Mansfield, was arrested for assembly or possession of chemicals to make methamphetamines, a second-degree felony, and Joanna Schaub, 34, of Lexington, was arrested on fifth-degree felony charges for possession of a schedule two drug.

While participating in the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” national campaign, police officers noticed a blue Chevrolet Blazer driving with a rear license plate that was not legible. Officers noticed several criminal indicators that led to the use of the Waynesfield Police Department K-9. The K-9 gave positive indication for the odor of narcotics.

A search of the vehicle led to the recovery of several items, including lighter fluid, a lighter, coffee filters, plastic baggies, batteries, lye, a flashlight, Sudafed, ammonia and sunglasses, among other items typically used for the manufacturing of methamphetamines, Waynesfield Police Chief Nathan Motter said. Motter said the materials were inside a red soft-sided lunch box approximately 1- by 2- feet in size.

It was also discovered that Schaub was in possession of Percoset without a prescription.

“We simply do not tolerate impaired driving,” Motter said. “While aggressively looking to combat that problem, we were able to uncover a potentially deadly meth lab. We immediately noticed several criminal indicators when the vehicle was stopped. No stop is ever routine.”

Schaub’s 13-year-old child was with the suspects in the vehicle. The suspects said they were taking the child to a residence between Waynesfield and Uniopolis and then were continuing to a Wapakoneta hotel.

A report from the police department did not indicate if the suspects were planning to cook the methamphetamines at the hotel.

The suspects made their initial appearance in court Tuesday. Motter said it is likely they will be indicted in the near future. He also indicated other charges are pending after completion of the investigation.

Deputies from the Auglaize County Sheriff’s Office and members from the Auglaize-Mercer County Grand Lake Task Force assisted the case.