McDonald's reopens after smoke causes evacuation

The McDonald's Restaurant on Bellefontaine Street had to be evacuated briefly over the lunch hour due to a malfunctioning piece of equipment.

The Wapakoneta Fire Department responded to the scene after light smoke filled the restaurant at 11:15 a.m. today. As a precautionary measure, city firefighters evacuated the restaurant until the cause of the smoke could be found.

Firefighters later located a malfunctioning HVAC unit that was causing the smoke. The unit was shut down and personnel at the restaurant were advised to contact maintenance personnel to have the problem fixed.

A manager at the restaurant said there was a "light" crowd of just a few people at the time of the evacuation.

The restaurant was re-opened at approximately 12:30 p.m.