Firefighters from the Wayne Township Fire Department and other area fire departments battle a blaze in New Hampshire Wednesday evening.
NEW HAMPSHIRE — While an investigation is incomplete, a fire that caused extensive damage to a residence at 13290 McBeth Road in New Hampshire Wednesday night appears to have been caused by an overloaded circuit at an electrical outlet.
Wayne Township Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 8:52 p.m. Wednesday after a report of a fire at the residence to the Auglaize County Sheriff’s Office.
Wayne Township Fire Chief Albert Presnell said the first units arrived at the scene at about 9:03 p.m. to find flames rolling out of a bedroom window. The fire was contained to the bedroom and part of the roof above the bedroom.
However, the house sustained extensive heat and smoke damage to its contents.
Insurance adjusters will evaluate damage this afternoon to give a estimate, but Presnell’s preliminarily estimate of damage is in excess of $50,000.
After the fire was extinguished, a preliminary investigation revealed the fire started at an electrical outlet in the bedroom where the fire started.
“It appears the fire started possibly at an overloaded circuit in the bedroom,” Presnell said. “We are still investigating.”
The Westminster Fire Department, St. Johns Fire Department, and Indian Lake EMS provided mutual aid at the scene.
The residence belongs to Dave Young. Five people live at the home, but there was only one occupant at the home at the time of the fire.
Smoke detectors in the home were not operating at the time.
Presnell said he wanted to remind people to make sure smoke detectors are operating in homes and to be careful not to overload electrical outlets.
“With the heating season coming, it is important to remember to use extension cords safely,” Presnell said. “Do not overload circuits. Make sure all smoke detectors in the home are operating.”