May 18th, 2012
Growing up in Wapakoneta at the time Neil Armstrong walked on the moon inspired a Minnesota man to use the celestial body as the theme for a literary magazine he edits.
William Waltz started “Conduit” in 1993 after finishing graduate school at the University of Massachusetts- Amherst, where he earned a Master of Fine Arts degree.
In an effort to find a more efficient and effective means for notifying fairgoers of an imminent weather emergency, city and county leaders decided to move forward with placing a tornado warning siren closer to the Auglaize County Fairgrounds.
“The last couple years, there have been weather emergencies during the fair and there was no quick way to get the information out,” Auglaize County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) Director Troy Anderson said.
Rosine D. Ruck, 86, of Wapakoneta, died at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday, May 16, 2012, at Wapakoneta Manor Nursing.
She was born July 20, 1925, in Fort Recovery, the daughter of Lucinda (Eversman) and LeRoy Link, who preceded her in death. On May 27, 1943, she married George T. Ruck, and he preceded her in death March of 1999.
Surviving are a son, Scott R. Ruck, of Mishawaka, Ind.; a daughter, Elaine (Jeff) Sawmiller, of Wapakoneta; two grandchildren, Tyler Steineke and Ashley Mullen; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Kathryn Ferguson, of Wapakoneta; and many nieces and nephews.
Wapakoneta City School District officials have plenty of shoes to fill at the end of the year.
Wapakoneta Middle School (WMS) staff hosted the annual Teacher’s Retirement Tea Wednesday at the Wapakoneta High School cafeteria. In all, 11 teachers, who totaled 341 years service to the district, retired from the district this school year.
“I don’t know when was the last time, if ever, we had this many in one year,” WMS teacher Michelle Roediger, who helped organize the event, said.
A new type of mapping by county officials adds another layer of preparation in case of a spill.
Auglaize County Emergency Management Agency Director Troy Anderson pinpointed specific dots as they connect to county waterways, which should help relief efforts should there be a chemical, manure or fuel spill.
A local student received a prestigious scholarship from a nationwide organization, which recognized his efforts of helping out with his family’s business.
Wapakoneta High School senior Jeff Poeppelman recently learned that he has received a Coca Cola Scholarship for $3,000. This scholarship was given through the National Independent Concessioners Association (NICA).
Along with the $3,000 scholarship, four more $1,000 scholarships were given away, and Poeppelman says he was in awe of his achievement of receiving the top prize.
Harold A. Engel, 82, of Wapakoneta, died at 11:20 p.m. Monday, May 14, 2012, at the Wapakoneta Manor.
He was born Feb. 4, 1930, the son of Pearl (Elmers) and Adrian Engel, who preceded him in death. On Aug. 15, 1959, he married Wanda Krites, and she died Aug. 3, 1980.
Victor W. Schneider, 95, a resident of Otterbein St. Marys Retirement Community, formerly of Dayton, died at 4:05 p.m. Saturday, May 12, 2012, at Otterbein St. Marys.
He was born May 7, 1917, in New Bremen, the son of Alma (Doenges) and Otto Schneider. On July 12, 1944, he married Hannah Shewmon, and she preceded him in death Oct. 28, 2009.
Surviving are a son, Richard Schneider, of Dayton; and a daughter, Jane White, of Englewood.
Elmer Frederick Neumeier, 94, was welcomed by the Lord with â€śCome in my good and faithful servantâ€ť at 10:15 pm. Monday, May 14th, 2012. His wife and family were at his side as he departed.
Elmer was born July 8, 1917, in Dayton, the son of May (Caldwell) and Raymond Frederick Neumeier, who both died when he was young leaving him orphaned at age 5. He was raised by his grandparents, Katherine (Fisher) and Andrew Neumeier, of Wapakoneta. On Jan. 10, 1944, he married Mary Louise Gehrlich, who survives.
The McDonald's Restaurant on Bellefontaine Street had to be evacuated briefly over the lunch hour due to a malfunctioning piece of equipment.
The Wapakoneta Fire Department responded to the scene after light smoke filled the restaurant at 11:15 a.m. today. As a precautionary measure, city firefighters evacuated the restaurant until the cause of the smoke could be found.