Archive - 2014
ST. MARYS — Pets without homes have another option as they wait for their forever homes.
The Animal Resource Foundation, or ARF, was started in 2011 in Auglaize County by a group of animal lovers who committed to volunteering their time. Their goal was to be different from the local humane society in one fundamental way — it is a rescue, not a shelter.
The Wapakoneta Antique and Specialty Shops (WASS) hosted its first annual vintage wedding gala Saturday at Village Green.
With food samples from Cloud Nine Catering and a wonderful display of vintage clothing, accessories, dinnerware and an assortment of much more, Village Green owner Blaine Kohler believes the day was a success.
“I think it was great,” Kohler said. “I think WASS had a really good turnout for their businesses.”
At the Auglaize County Franklin B. Walter Awards Dinner last Wednesday night, students and teachers from Minster, New Bremen, New Knoxville, St. Marys, Wapakoneta and Waynesfield-Goshen were honored for their accomplishments both in and out of the classroom.
For each student honored, a teacher who had the biggest influence on them throughout the past four years was chosen by the student.
CELINA — The Grand Lake Hospice Committee raised more than $40,000 Saturday evening during its sixth annual For the Love of Hospice Gala, “Magic and Mystery: A Masquerade Ball,” at Romer’s Entertainment Center in Celina.
The event raised approximately $5,000 more than last year, Hospice Committee Chair Sandy Gerdeman said. More than 200 people attended the event, decked out in suits and ties and gowns. Feathered masks were sported here and there and some people had painted faces.
Thomas Jerome (Jerry) Carr passed away March 28, 2014, after a battle with lung cancer. Born on May 11, 1941 to John and Mary (Mason) Carr in Roanoke, Va., he grew up in Wapakoneta, attended St. Joseph Elementary and High School, St. Joseph College and Wright State University. Jerry served in the security service with the USAF, stationed in Okinawa.
Imagine a volleyball court being placed in the middle of a basketball court and having both sports attempt to play a game at the same time.
That doesn’t quite work, does it?
According to Owner of AMJ Skateshop Jarett Jones, that is virtually how the current skatepark is set up.
For the next two weeks, the Wapakoneta Parks Department will be working hard to get the town’s parks ready for the various activities that will be taking place during the spring and summer months.
The department will be responsible for cleaning the parks, making sure all the playground equipment is working correctly, lining nine soccer fields and getting all the baseball fields ready for play.
As part of their lesson on living and non-living things, kindergarten students at Wapakoneta Elementary School were given a hands-on presentation by Beth Theisen, a naturalist who works at the Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District in Lima.
Theisen travels around the area giving presentations to classes and various other groups, educating them about animals, conservation and respecting nature.
On Thursday, she stopped by WES, bringing several different types of caged animals for the children to observe.
Next Friday Wapakoneta High School’s performing arts center will be buzzing while the cast and crew of the Music Man host their debut performance at 7:30 p.m.
For junior Sara Foor this is her first leading role in all three years she has been doing musicals. Foor will be playing Marian opposite her senior boyfriend, Austin Drake, who is no stranger to being the lead in the high school musical.
Foor said taking on the leading role has been a difficult process with memorizing her lines, but a good experience.
ST. MARYS — Thick, black smoke filled downtown St. Marys are firefighters from several local departments battled a fire at a residence along East Spring Street Thursday afternoon.
At approximately 12:42 p.m., calls poured into the St. Marys Fire Department reporting a structure fire at 311 E. Spring St. As crews made entry, black smoke poured out of the windows and vents of the home. Smoke filled downtown and wind gusts caused visibility to drop as the smoke was carried throughout the area.